Elderberry Syrup for Colds and FluNovember 12, 2018
- 4 oz Elderberries (dried)
- 1 tbsp Echinacea Root, broken or cut up
- 1 tbsp Wild Cherry Bark
- 1 tbsp Rose Hips (dried)
- 1 tbsp Ginger, ground or a piece about as big as the last 2 joints of your pinky finger of fresh root, grated
- 1 tsp Orange Peel
- 1 cup Honey
Put all of these ingredients into a nickel-free stainless steel or glass pot. Cover with a couple of inches of water and bring just to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and add one cup honey. Substitute Maple Syrup for honey if you are making this medicine for a baby under a year-old. Keep refrigerated.
- 1 spoonful every morning during cold and flu season.
- 3 spoonfuls 3 times a day if you are sick.
Make small batches at a time, about what you will use within a couple of weeks. If you are using dried herbs and roots and berries, they will keep better dried than they will once made into syrup.